Friday, September 11, 2009

Back to basics



I've decided for the next week to just do color studies. No paintings. If I get inspired, well... maybe.

I've relied so much on my intuitive sense of color--nothing wrong with that, but I think it can get me in to some conundrums with the way I currently work, especially on the big canvases. Got out my "Art Fundamentals" book from undergrad this afternoon. It's interesting to realize that I may not have a really firm grasp on some fundamental tools at this stage in the game. I think though that if I dig in on this, I'll have more control over my paintings as a result.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill, I just stumbled on to your blog via my site meter thingy and wanted to say how much I love reading it. You're very generous sharing all of this information: the agonies and ecstasies of painting - I often feel. As a painter with similar concerns, I can relate to so much of what you write here and your work is really beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete