Thursday, July 23, 2009

Palette collecting

Yesterday after work I stopped at a local used bookstore. I found an unbelievably pristine (and cheap) copy of Rosalind Krauss's "The Originality of the Avante-Garde and Other Modernist Myths". Then, I stumbled upon a book on Rubens (below is a pic of The Rape of the Daughters of Leucippus) and a book on Indian miniatures. I've been thinking about Michael Newmann's suggestion to repaint paintings, and the idea of borrowing a color palette from another artist (thanks Jeffrey!). I love Ruben's luscious use of the paint. It's delicious and sensuous. And I love the brightness and purity and vibration of the Indian miniature paintings.

This weekend I plan to work on a color palette and trace the images on to mylar or tracing paper like Heather suggested. I would like to merge these paintings.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete